Program and Volunteer Director
Are you ready to join an organization where you can make an extraordinary impact every day?
Caras Alegres, a nonprofit organization in Xela, Guatemala, seeks a full-time Program and Volunteer Director.
Minimum commitment of 1 year, preferably 2 years.
About Caras Alegres:
Caras Alegres is an NGO that focuses on children in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Xela, Las Rosas (Zone 5). Every day we strive to support
and empower the community of Las Rosas. We partner with approximately 70 to 80 families, providing basic needs and educational opportunities.
Our main projects are:
- An after-school program in which we provide lunch for about 50 children and that allows them to be children in a safe environment and
develop the necessary social interaction skills to become responsible, respectful young adults;
- A food box activities supporting families and providing them with the breathing space to use their funds in other vital areas;
- A backpack that provides the necessary school materials for children to actively participate in school.
- A scholarship program supporting the most promising students enabling them to continue their studies.
Provide and improve the general welfare and the position of women and children living through poverty, abandonment, and personal hardship.
Combat the negative effects of poverty and give children and parents in the Las Rosas neighborhood a positive attitude towards the future.
A Program and Volunteer Director who is dynamic and creative. The director is responsible for the organizing and implementing the different
programs but also, for the finances and foreign volunteers. You should know how to distinguish talent and do everything possible to motivate
and inspire. You must possess excellent organizational skills and ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and experience.
Reports to the Executive Director in Guatemala.
- Recruit, select, schedule and coach foreign volunteers
- Build relationships with foreign volunteers in order to increase the network
- Plan and coordinate large groups of volunteers
- Plan and implement afterschool activities, e.g. handicraft workshops, sports activities etc.
- Supervise and work with local teachers during the afterschool activities
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; reporting monthly finances
- Update website and social media channels; Facebook and Instagram
- Any other duties that may arise as part of the day-to-day running of the organization.
- Great interest in working with vulnerable children, age 5-14 years old
- Ability to work independently and resourcefully
- Able to communicate effectively with diverse people
- Knowledge of non-profit procedures
- Applied knowledge and intermediate skills in Microsoft Windows applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of – and experience with MailChimp and WordPress
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in both, Spanish and English
- Highly effective organization, multi-tasking, communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree (preferable in Development work)
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a Latin-American country
- Self-starter with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Commitment of at least 1 year; preferably 2 years.
- A unique experience, working in a rural area
- A great balance of office hours and working directly with the children
- A variety of different responsibilities
- Flexible working environment
- 6 weeks of holidays throughout the year (1 week with Holy week in March, 1 week with Independence day in September and 4 weeks during the month of December)
How to apply
Please submit your motivation and CV in Spanish AND English before the 31st of October 2017 to Irma Oomen at email@example.com with subject: Program and Volunteer Director.
Interviews will be held the second week of November 2017. Starting date: 1st of December 2017.
Feel free to contact us at (00502) 7926 8628.